Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Mystery paint color-68 mustang

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 12:47 AM
my68302

Default Mystery paint color-68 mustang

We need your help in finding out just what true color our 68 mustang is. We know it was built in San Jose and sold in Chico, California. The numbers for the DSO read 721185. We have not been able to find out what the 1185 is. The car itself is and odd yellow with a greenish tinge to it.

The warranty plate reads 65A (body) blank (color) 2U (trim) 16B (date) 721185 (DSO) 5 (axle) W (trans).

We have been searching tor two months with no luck. The car has been scanned by dupont, but could not give us a color name or number. MARTI, at this point, has not been able to help us. We have searched paint chip pages os Dupont, PPG, and Ditzler but did not find our color. I have also search the car for a build sheet, but wasnt able to find it.

The car is in unabelivable orignal condition. It has always been kept in a garage and has never been damaged.

Any help would be appreciated. We are at a loss of what to do next.

Please view picture of the car.

Thanks for your help ...... Jim

[IMG]local://upfiles/45407/259F1AE55B1C4218903F46314FD0D426.jpg[/IMG]
Old 08-07-2006, 07:26 AM
KTM
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Mystery paint color-68 mustang

Hello,

my ยด68 fb has been originally more or less same shade of green as yours is yellow. My car is also special paint car with no color code. I did found original green some places all over the car, but body was painted maroon by some brevious owner. Is there in your car near radiator letters SP ? In my car there were and I think it means Special Paint. SP is made with some kind of marker.

Location of SP - letters
Partially Highland Green and partially primer. I hope that in an few days all around Higland Green.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:25 AM
chillininnh
2nd Gear Member

Look at this thread: https://mustangforums.com/m_1754882/tm.htm

I suggest you look carefully at colors offered in other 1968 Ford model lines for a match. Good luck, I will also check it out.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:53 PM
my68302

Thanks for your reply. I do have the window sticker which says Special Paint, and it also has a black pinstripe down the side of the car.
I have found under the hood on the firewall on the passenger side just behind the hood hinge a green stamp mark that shows ( P-31 ) on the yellow painted part of the firewall. Take a look at the picture. I am not sure what it means??
I have been searching paintchip pages for all ford, lincoln, mercury, T-bird. Trucks, clear back into the 1950s, but so for some appear close but doesnt appear 100% this color.

and Thanks for all your Help
Jim

[IMG]local://upfiles/45407/CE6EBBFC2ADD4C928AA3ACA31835C193.jpg[/IMG]
Old 08-07-2006, 10:14 PM
67t5ponycoupe
5th Gear Member

I had a 68 GT/CS that looked like that color. I repainted it the original 68 yellow and it matched the old color exactly. I thought it was called Saturn yellow but it may have been the spring time yellow. I can't remember. That car also seemed to me to have a little green in it.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:19 PM
67t5ponycoupe
5th Gear Member

Sorry the 68 color was called meadowlark not springtime.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:35 AM
my68302

We have compared our color to the Meadowlark Yellow and it isn't even close to that color. This is a very bright yellow with a tinge of green. In some pictures we have taken, it almost looks avacado green, depending on how the sun is or is not hitting it. I can't remember seeing another car with this color.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:38 AM
Dan66
3rd Gear Member

Hi Jim,

First of all - beautiful car you have there! I'm a sucker for those special order colors! But if Kevin Marti was no help, I don't know who can be.

Y'know, it wasn't always from the Ford/Lincoln/Mercury books that special colors were ordered. A Mustang Monthly feature car about a decade back was bright orange. Turned out to be a Mack truck color. I read of someone else that had one painted their high school color. Someone else owned a restaurant and ordered their Mustang painted to match the front of their building. For all you know, the buyer may have walked in and asked for a car in the color of the shirt he was wearing!

If it were mine, I think I would concentrate on finding previous owners - specifically the original purchaser. He/she may be the only one that knows the story. I assume you've tried to locate the original Ford dealership. Would they have a sales record from '68 with perhaps an explanation?

At any rate, don't dare repaint the thing red![:@]
Old 08-08-2006, 03:29 AM
KTM
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: my68302

Thanks for your reply. I do have the window sticker which says Special Paint, and it also has a black pinstripe down the side of the car.
I have found under the hood on the firewall on the passenger side just behind the hood hinge a green stamp mark that shows ( P-31 ) on the yellow painted part of the firewall. Take a look at the picture. I am not sure what it means??
I have been searching paintchip pages for all ford, lincoln, mercury, T-bird. Trucks, clear back into the 1950s, but so for some appear close but doesnt appear 100% this color.

and Thanks for all your Help
Jim

[IMG]local://upfiles/45407/CE6EBBFC2ADD4C928AA3ACA31835C193.jpg[/IMG]
P-31 is mystery to me. Special paint is very interesting besauce with little amount of money you could order any color from any Fomoco car and little money moore you got any color you want eaven your shirt color. Be ready that your color may be really one of one.

What your window sticker says about stripe? Is it black paint stripe? In my Marti Report there is white paint stripe and I think that it has been similar than your black stripe.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:04 PM
my68302

First, thank you to everyone trying to help us find the color of our car.

We are the third owners of the car. We were able to track down the original owner. The husband had already passed away and the wife was in bad health and passed away about 2 months ago. The daughter does not remember what the color is called.

The couple went to the dealership looking for a "family" car. They walked into the showroom, saw the car, fell in love with it and bought it off the showroom floor. We realize there were several dealer specials in California, and this may very well be one of them. We have been unable to find the build sheet for the car. The dealership is no longer is business and we have pretty much hit a brick wall.

We have not been able to find a sample of the color Dandelion Yellow. If anyone has a sample of that color, please let us know. If this makes any sense to you, that color "sounds" like our car "looks".

We truely enjoy this car and hope to find out just what color it is. Any help would be appreciated.

[IMG]local://upfiles/45407/D9CAE6C514A34448B6D6D593C9CC71B3.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Mystery paint color-68 mustang