1999 COUGAR, GRAND MARQUIS, MYSTIQUE, SABLE, TRACER, MOUNTAINEER
This TSB article is being republished in its entirety to provide information on using the Service Bay Technical System (SBTS) and New Generation Star (NGS) Tester, and to update the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Information charts.
Calibration information was not readily provided on some vehicles.
Refer to the following Service Information and Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Information charts for details.
To determine a vehicle's calibration:
Check OASIS to see if calibration is shown.
Check the certification label on the door. On most vehicles built after 1/18/1999, the calibration number is printed on the bottom right corner of the certification label. The calibration will be the 4 to 7 digit number located in the section directly to the right of the letters "SPR".
Refer to the following chart for Step 3 information:
PCM INFORMATION - STEP 3
For 1999 Model Year Vehicles Built Through 1/31/1999
For All Vehicles Using SBTS And NGS Tester
For 1999 model year vehicles built through 1/31/1999, find the PCM tear tag located on the vehicle. Cross-reference the tear tag code to find the base calibration using the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Information charts found in this TSB article.
1. Using the NGS Tester, locate the PCM ID Engineering Number (i.e., XR3 FNC) and the Software ID (i.e., CVBAA6C9.HEX) by the following: a) Install the RED diagnostic card into NGS. b) Select vehicle. c) Select diagnostic data link. d) Select PCM from the choices listed on NGS. e) Record the PCM ID and the software ID. Write these down, you will need them later.
2. On SBTS, go to the icon NGS UTILITY function. This will present two screens, left and right. The option for the FUNCTION (LH screen) is PCM recalibration. The option for the OPTION (RH screen) is View Calibration information. Hit the RUN SELECTIVE FUNCTION button.
3. Select Model Year, Model, and Engine. This will provide you with five screens (top, LH, middle, RH, bottom).
4. By scrolling through the calibration options on the QUALIFIER (top screen), you will change the CALIBRATION numbers in the LH screen.
5. By scrolling through LH screen, the ENGINEERING PART NUMBER (middle screen) will change. When you find the Engineering Part No. from Step 1, the calibration number on the LH screen is the one to use. Write this number down, you will need it later.
6. Cancel back to the NGS UTILITY function. The FUNCTION (LH screen) is PCM recalibration. The OPTION (RH screen) is Download Cal data through special card.
7. Hit CALL DOWNLOAD SCREEN button. Download calibration number is the one from Step 5. Hit DOWNLOAD CALIBRATION button.
1999 LIGHT TRUCK POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM) INFORMATION