4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Basic Mods for your 96-04 GT/Mach 1

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 04:55 PM
mkmaxwell

Default RE: Basic Mods for your 96-04 GT/Mach 1

Have a 03 Gt with 75mm BBK Tb and Elbow, K&N CAI, Flowmasters. it is an Auto. Just bought a diablo tuner, next step is 4.10 gears...Do I need a stall converter or what? If so who reccomends what?
Old 09-28-2006, 05:06 PM
ben790450
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: TECH: Basic Mods for your 96-04 GT

ORIGINAL: 98slowmustanggt

ORIGINAL: bigedog8

ORIGINAL: buster

the best advice that I can give u is to make sure its made of plastic.......metal kind of hold heat right? Kind of defeats the purpose of a COLD air intake right?
no the purpose is it draws air through the fender well so it intakes cold air. how long is that air in the tube rushing into the engine not enough to matter. plus the metal intakes look way better than some plastic piles. besides like stated below if ur that conserned about losing .0000007 hp to the wheels because of the heat u can wrap it to insulate it so it doesnt heat up as much.
Is this for real.. Ok go home and get you a peice of plastic and a peice of aluminum. Get two candels and light them. Hold them over top of it and see witch one you can hold onto. Yes the aluminum one will heat up faster but not as hot as the plastic, and the plastic one will stay hot once it gets hot. Aluminum not only gets hot faster but it disperses the heat faster witch doesnt let it get as hot as the plastic. Now as for getting a cia just buy one off ebay for 35 bucks that what i did and it just as good material and weilds as all the others. Fits perfectly and has all the vacum lines you need, and the spot for the ial. Dont waste your money on expencive ones. they are the same size shape and everything.
+1
Old 09-28-2006, 05:07 PM
ben790450
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: silverstang0509

I recently purchased a 2001 gt and I wanted to modify the engine a bit...I have a k&n, longtubes, xpipe, and magnaflow exhaust. What should be my next mods?
Turbonator. Thats the only way to go. It can give you up to 120 hp on the right applications. Right guys?
Old 09-28-2006, 07:16 PM
aMerICAn_mUsCLe79
2nd Gear Member

did ne 1 say pi swap? ( 96-98 atleast) cams intake and heads number 1 (other than possibly gears) for us SN-95 people
Old 09-28-2006, 08:51 PM
Gar4pt6
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ben790450

ORIGINAL: silverstang0509

I recently purchased a 2001 gt and I wanted to modify the engine a bit...I have a k&n, longtubes, xpipe, and magnaflow exhaust. What should be my next mods?
Turbonator. Thats the only way to go. It can give you up to 120 hp on the right applications. Right guys?
turbonator all the way...i have 6 of them on my car and thats it (they add 15 hp each)....i smoked a c6 vette yesterday
Old 10-04-2006, 11:46 PM
sweet99
4th Gear Member

OK. I used a Pasport timing device to measure what the mods and any tunes did.
Baseline was a best of 14.42-96mph
1. JLT CAI-Great quality and it worked. Dropped .15 and added .9 mph. This may have ben the best mod-second best.
2. 4.10 gearset-Motives/litle whine, not a bother, made the car more responsive and OD useful under 90mph as I have an automatic.
3. STEEDA TIMING ADJUSTER-best bang for the buck. I already had a Predator canned tune and added the adjuster and added 6* on top of whatever the Predator had added at the 10% max I added with it.
4. PYPES catted X-pipe and catback-Got nasty drone at 2k rpm's and special ordered the Race Pro muflers, their quietest! Little time improvement though with all of the additional mods I think they deleted a tenth. If you are strapped for cash just but your favorite muflers and cut the stockers out and put yor favs in their place.
5. UDP's-nothing
6. 75mm BBK TB/BBK plenum-nothing
7. Brenspeed SCT tuner with 3 custom tunes after I sold the predator for $200. Brent said I would not see much since I already had the timing adjuster and he was right. My best was a 13.95 with a 2.15 60' on 315/35's and a 0-60mph of 5.45 and my best trap was a 100.8 mph run. Not bad for a 3750lb car with 2 guys and an automatic. Mark Total cost $2430.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:36 PM
narshadda

Hey all,
New to the board. Here is what I have done to my 2004 GT in the order I did it:
Eibach Pro Kit Springs
Steeda Tri-Ax Shifer
Steeda Underdrive Pulleys
3 inch Fenderwell Cold Air Intake
Ford Racing 70mm Throttle Body
SCT Xcal2 with custom tune from Steeda Motorsports
Trick Flow Intake Plenum
MAC Catback Exhaust
MAC Off Road Pro Chamber mid-pipe
4.10 Gears
MACH 1 grill delete kit
Brembo Cross Drilled/SLotted rotors
12 inch antenna
My best advice would be to do the Gears, Catback, Springs, and Tune first. You can get everything done
for about $1500. The few mods provide a pretty strong base for the rest of the smaller mods. Not
to mention that the effect of the smaller mods will be enhanced by having the "strong" base.
If you live in South Fl, check out Mustang Specialties in Pompano Beach. They are a very reputable
shop and do really good work.
The combination of these mods have put me about 4-5 carlengths ahead of LS1's (until 5th gear - it is
still an overdrive gear - ugh!) I'll be getting it up on a dyno in a month or so after I put the Typhoon
intake in.
I have a few pics up at:
http://narshadda.gotstang.com
and you can hear the exhaust at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7Dd30MESLI
Hope that helps,
Narsh
Old 09-12-2007, 02:04 PM
nikbait
3rd Gear Member

What would be good starters for a mach 1 besides CAI/RAI, gears, exhaust? I am looking to put catbacks, new midpipe and possibly headers, but, I've been reading sooo many different things about headers....what's the truth? Are they legal or not? If I put in a catted midpipe with catback and LT's or ST's is that still emissions legal?
I've also heard not to put UDP's on the new machs? Opinions?
Old 01-24-2008, 06:56 PM
supersonic03gt

sup guys, just wanna start out by sayin im definitely a newb when it comes to this stuff so any insight and advice is very helpful. with that bein said, i just got my car in november, '03 gt 5-speed, sonic blue. im in love with the thing but i cannot wait untill i can start making it faster ive done a little research and i suppose i get the basics of pretty much all the bolts ons (what they do anyways) and was just wondering what you guys think. this is a list of what im planning on doing starting around april:

CAI - probably the first thing im going to do, not sure which brand, bbk, K&N? money is an issue so im looking for the most bang for my buck here.

MAF? - i was under the impression the mass airflow was just a sensor? dont know anything about this, help?

exhuast - my buddy has a bullit with an SLP loudmouth II catback on it (headers and x-pipe as well). no way ill go with anything else, it sounds nasty! same time as this i wanna go with an x-pipe as well. headers will have to wait, pretty expensive and im still in school...

shifter - steeda tri-ax is what im shootin for, havent heard a bad thing about em...

springs - still have the stock 17s on there so i just wanna lower it and make em fill up the wheel well a little more. eibach pro kit seems solid and suppossidly drops it 1.5" all around. from here i know absolutely nothing about
suspension... bushing, struts, control arms, tie rods? its greek to me... any help would be greatly appreciated.
also- heard sub-frame connectors were a really good idea? again clueless so if anyone knows, advice would be awesome.

TB/plenum - looks like everyone agrees accufab is a solid way to go, found a combo for $400, seems like a good idea to me...

pulleys - looks like steedas the way to go again...
f
rom here - gears im thinking 3.73, this is my dd so i dont need to be makin 3500rmps at 60 in 5th gear... again dont know a whole lot but ive been told thats the best way to go. after that headers would be the next thing to do... i got long tubes id have to go with a different x-pipe but this is down the road a lil ways so im not too worried about it.

this is basically what im plannin to do, in that order for the most part. any suggestions on brands and what order i should do all this in would be sweet... lemme know what you guys think! and ill say it one more time, im n00b so go easy any help = greatly appreciated!

Old 04-18-2008, 09:36 PM
mestit3
2nd Gear Member

when i first got my car i was all gung ho about what is supposed to give me 5-10hp yea yea yea.... if i could do it over again the first dime i spent would be onheads/cams and gears and none of the other bolt ons. if you add up the price of udp's, tb, plenum, cai, x/h pipe, etc it adds up quick. i mean really, a set of comp cams is what $600? something like that? and it makes real horsepower.

Quick Reply: Basic Mods for your 96-04 GT/Mach 1