Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!
Old 10-23-2015, 03:20 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

Installing Fuel Filter, with pics!

Old 08-16-2007, 05:13 PM
Fyrewalker
1st Gear Member

Default Installing Fuel Filter, with pics!

Hi, I am a new owner of a 2005 Mustang V6, bought it with 18k miles and since I didn't know
much about the history of maintenance I decided to change all the fluids and filters. So, today
it was the fuel filter. This is a VERY simple job that anyone that knows "lefty loosey, righty tighty" can accomplish. I included some pics.

1. remove the fuel pump fuse which is under the hood, in the fuse box on the passenger side, it is the fuse that is numbered 21 (page 165 in your owners manual)

1a. Turn the ignition and try to start the car, it shouldn't. Removing the fuse and trying to start will use up the gasoline that is
in the fuel line and because the fuel pump fuse is removed, no more gasoline will be introduced into the fuel line you are
going to be separating. This step makes it so when you do remove the fuel filter there will be very little gasoline left in the
fuel line (less of a mess).
2. disconnect the negative battery cable.

3. raise up car in the front or if using car jack that came with the car, lift up the front drivers side.

4. I used a floor jack, placed it at the front location where the regular jack goes, use jackstands too.

5. the fuel filter is located under the drivers seat, under the car, hidden by a large black cover that is held on by push pins and several 10mm nuts.

6. I did not remove the entire panel, only removing 3 10mm nuts and one push pin, allowing the cover to hang down out of the way.

7. Fuel filter is secured by a black rubber mount that is held on by a 10mm nut, remove this nut
thus allowing the rubber mount to be rotated, this makes it easier to slide out fuel filter.

8. The fuel filter itself is held onto the fuel lines on each side by fittings that have a green button on each side. Simply press the green button in (I used a screwdriver tip) and pull the filter off of the fuel line. Do this to both sides and the filter can now be slipped out of the rubber mount.

9. Make sure you install the new fuel
filter with the black arrow pointing toward the engine. Again press the green buttons on each
side of the fuel line, slide the connector over the new fuel filter and you will feel it click, pull
the filter and the fuel line in different directions (as to pull apart) to ensure that indeed they
are connected and the seal is good. Join the other side of the fuel filter to the other end of the fuel line, again feeling the click and pulling apart to ensure they are connected.

10. if you rotated the rubber mount holding on the fuel filter, rotate it back into place and secure with a 10mm bolt.

11. replace fuel pump fuse in position 21, reconnect negative battery cable.

12. turn the key in the ignition to on" do not engage the starter, it will sound different as the fuel
pump fills the fuel filter with fuel. Do this on/off cycle until you no longer hear the fuel pump
making a "priming noise" It took 3-4 times for mine to sound normal.

13. lower the car and start, let it run a few minutes, check for leaks. If none are found, reinstall
the fasteners that you removed and be happy that you did this yourself and saved
yourself some $. I will try to upload pics to clarify any confusing parts.

Note, when I removed my old fuel filter, I attempted to blow through it, it wasn't easy, I felt very little air coming out of the other side, of course it was wet with fuel but it was very clear that these filters should be changed as stated in the owners manual, every 15k miles. Also the car "feels" quicker, with less throttle lag.

I have more pictures if needed, just let me know I would be glad to email them to you.

[IMG]local://upfiles/77137/7166CB8262DC4E25994CB4663FB4CB24.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/77137/0497F0543DF24352BC65B1EB477EA6C8.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/77137/CA7B4F1C43424395861356816A519E03.jpg[/IMG]
Old 08-16-2007, 05:43 PM
NickSezz
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Installing Fuel Filter, with pics!

Nice ill be doing this soon cause im just insane when it comes to any little thing that may be robbing power from my engine. Can u make the text a little bigger and space the steps out...kinda hurts my already bad eyes reading it. Get those pics!
Old 08-16-2007, 05:48 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: Fyrewalker

Hi, I am a new owner of a 2005 Mustang V6, bought it with 18k miles and since I didn't know
much about the history of maintenance I decided to change all the fluids and filters. So, today
it was the fuel filter. This is a VERY simple job that anyone that knows "lefty loosey, righty tighty" can
accomplish. I included some pics.
1. remove the fuel pump fuse which is under the hood, in the fuse box on the passenger side, it is the fuse
that is numbered 21 (page 165 in your owners manual)
2. disconnect the negative battery cable.
3. raise up car in the front or if using car jack that came with the car, lift up the front drivers side.
4. I used a floor jack, placed it at the front location where the regular jack goes, use jackstands too.
5. the fuel filter is located under the drivers seat, under the car, hidden by a large black cover that is
held on by push pins and several 10mm nuts.
6. I did not remove the entire panel, only removing 3 10mm nuts and one push pin, allowing the
cover to hang down out of the way.
7. Fuel filter is secured by a black rubber mount that is held on by a 10mm nut, remove this nut
thus allowing the rubber mount to be rotated, this makes it easier to slide out fuel filter.
8. The fuel filter itself is held onto the fuel lines on each side by fittings that have a green button on
each side. Simply press the green button in (I used a screwdriver tip) and pull the filter off of
the fuel line. Do this to both sides and the filter can now be slipped out of the rubber mount.
9. I put a light coat of fresh oil on each end of the new filter, make sure you install the new fuel
filter with the black arrow pointing toward the engine. Again press the green buttons on each
side of the fuel line, slide the connector over the new fuel filter and you will feel it click, pull
the filter and the fuel line in different directions (as to pull apart) to ensure that indeed they
are connected and the seal is good. Join the other side of the fuel filter to the other end of the
fuel line, again feeling the click and pulling apart to ensure they are connected.
10. if you rotated the rubber mount holding on the fuel filter, rotate it back into place and secure
with a 10mm bolt.
11. replace fuel pump fuse in position 21, reconnect negative battery cable.
12. turn the key in the ignition to on" do not engage the starter, it will sound different as the fuel
pump fills the fuel filter with fuel. Do this on/off cycle until you no longer hear the fuel pump
13. lower the car and start, let it run a few minutes, check for leaks. If none are found, reinstall
the fasteners that you removed and be happy that you did this yourself and saved
yourself some $. I will try to upload pics to clarify any confusing parts.

Note, when I removed my old fuel filter, I attempted to blow through it, it wasn't easy, I felt very little
air coming out of the other side, of course it was wet with fuel but it was very clear that these filters
should be changed as stated in the owners manual, every 15k miles. Also the car "feels" quicker, with
less throttle lag.

Everything looks good, but I wouldn't put oil near the fuel lines or on the fuel lines. You could contaminate your fuel.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:44 PM
Fyrewalker
1st Gear Member

A few other points to mention. I did not get a lot of fuel coming out from the fuel lines,
it was not under pressure, I would say about 4 ounces of fuel came out. Some people mention pressing the fuel shut off button located on the drivers side footwell, I didn't feel the need, I cannot imagine it would have made a difference. I agree with Derf00 do not get oil near the ends of the fuel filter, omit that step if you wish, I did it only near the base of the filter as I had read to do so in an old publication, of which I cannot find now. Total cost, below $20. Total time, under 30 minutes. Lastly, yes, that is my 3 year old "helper" in one of the pics, she increased the time by 10 minutes
Old 08-17-2007, 05:05 AM
jim01028
2nd Gear Member

so you can imagine how much better a 2003 ran after changing the fuel filter for the first time at 65k
ORIGINAL: NickSezz

Nice ill be doing this soon cause im just insane when it comes to any little thing that may be robbing power from my engine. Can u make the text a little bigger and space the steps out...kinda hurts my already bad eyes reading it. Get those pics!
Old 08-17-2007, 01:43 PM
REMMustang05
1st Gear Member

Thanks for sharring! I'm glad that I dont have to go out and buy the fuel filter removal tool. and now i can just use a screw driver
Old 08-17-2007, 06:17 PM
TheBlackPearl
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, when I called ford about the part they asked me if I had the "Removal Tool."

Yeah, its called a socket wrench.
Old 08-18-2007, 07:33 AM
arizonamike

[sm=Flahssssss.gif]How important is this step 12? When I changed my fuel filter, I just turned the key to prime and start. I am having some issues with the engine comimg close to stalling sometimes and the wrench light coming on. Thanks for your excellent information.
Old 08-18-2007, 09:01 AM
Fyrewalker
1st Gear Member

omitting step number 12 would not be the cause of your near stalling, I do this step simply to get fuel back in the fuel lines, to the engine so that it will start, you could not do this step and it would only require you to stay on the starter for a longer period (until fuel gets from the tank to the engine, through your new (dry) fuel filter. I did it this way so as to not put strain on the fuel pump.
Old 08-18-2007, 09:39 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Very nice write-up. A_sixer(Tino) made this cool How-To video, which I also found helpful

http://media.putfile.com/Mustang-40-Fuel-Filter-Change

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Installing Fuel Filter, with pics!