Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

2.3L Turbo swap into 1967 Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 01:46 PM
KFC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 67turbo2.3
If you need any info on the swap i'm 60% done with mine its an easy swap go for it man
Did you have to cut or mod anything to fit the motor and turbo between the shock towers or is there enough room to drop it into a 67/68?
Old 10-24-2008, 02:07 PM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

IM in Al doing the same swap i hope to have the motor pulled from my 67 this weekend, and have the engine bay sanded down and ready for some bondo and some of my rattle can magic.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:56 PM
mustang289
2nd Gear Member

I haven't posted here in quite sometime.

And to come back to this, I find very displeasing.

The amount of close minded people in this forum is utterly disturbing.

To the op, I think it is great what you are doing. And please excuse my French, but to all those close minded, "ignant" opposers. I say F*ck them. You are doing what you love and thats all that matters.

Who ever said the 2.3's where slouches. I have personally riden in a 2.3 SVO (around the same weight as a classic) which made over 300 to the tires, and it out ran a Panoz Race car around road atlanta

Again, I am thoroughly DISCUSTED with the close mindedness of this forum. You should all be ashamed of yourself with this "It only has half the engine its supposed to" "It'd be fun if the motor actually made 200HP" I could go on and on and on. You are rediculous.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:08 AM
spdrcer34
1st Gear Member

A little late on responding to the last few comments....

Why not a Zetec? Well, first of all the economy SUCKS right now. Like MOST americans, I can't afford to drop that kind of cash on a motor AND get it into the Mustang...

For anywhere from $350 to $850 I can get a WHOLE TurboCoupe and take EVERYTHING I need from it, get 205hp, AND a WorldClass T-5....

As for the closed-minded people that responded, I try not to even listen to them....

My local junkyard just got a whole 87 TC in, ( bad timing belt) but it's an Auto...I was offered the car for 400. I said no thanks, I'm looking for a T-5.

My search continues for a good 87/88 TC....I've seen them on Craigslist from time to time....the only ones that are STILL available when I call, are the ones where the owner is always asking a CRAZY $2500-$4500 for a car with 100k on it, needing a clutch, and brakes...it NEVER fails...

By spring I hope to have a TurboCoupe torn down in my garage.

Ryan
Old 01-26-2009, 04:50 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Good luck on finding a parts car my friend wanted a turbocoupe tell everyone he looked at was ragged out high dollar junk.Wonder if the 8 plug set up on a ranger would work on one.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:54 AM
stangtjk
2nd Gear Member

I read about 14 pages of this thread and I'm all for doing something different. I just wanted to make a comment concerning the "engineering students". I'm also pursuing a BSME and I'm in my final year so I'm going to say this from experience. Being an engineering student doesn't mean you know a damn thing about cars. Also if its your first of second year in engineering you probably haven't taken a course that has anything to do with building a car so how you dignify using that as a reference is beyond me. Swaping a 2.3l turbo into a classic mustang has nothing to do with the calc, physics, thermo or any other courses you may have taken early in your education. Hell I've only got 3 courses left and still haven't taken anything that is directly applicable to this situation. So to say you're an engineering student to back up your opinions means absolutely nothing especially up against guys that have been building and modding cars since before you could wipe your own ***. Out of all the engineering students I go to school with there are very few I'd let touch my car, most of them have no fabrication experience what so ever and Matlab, AutoCad, Ansys ect. cant build a car no matter how good of a programmer you are.

Well I guess I'm done with my rant for now. Good luck with the build.

EDIT: I just wanted to point out that I was referring to these two comments that were previously posted
Dude I am going to school to be a Mechanical engineer and have a FULL scholarship to do so.
btw im a mechanical major too so get the f out.
and not bashing engineering students. I completely agree with this statement
Come to think of it, this isn't a bad real-world problem to use to stretch one's engineering expertise.
which is kinda what I was getting at saying that the year or 2 being in a MAE program doesn't have any pull in this swap. If I was planning on making a custom intake and wanted to optimize the design an engineering background would be helpful and I could run my design through a CFD program to see how well it flows and what not. That would be overkill in most cases. Point being the engineering has already been done by ford. All that is left is making modifications to fit the engine in the car.

Also I'm not totally talking out my *** I do know what it is like to tackle a challenging swap. [IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by stangtjk; 01-26-2009 at 07:48 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:06 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Been at this a while longer than most here . . .

Engineering courses are certainly NOT going to teach you the nitty-gritty details of swaps such as the one here. Maybe there's nothing specifically automotive in your course load at all, beyond the typical homework problems in physics class. But hopefully you gain some insight from such courses and apply those thought processes to evaluating THIS task. The point is that a well thought-out engineering approach will be more likely to be successful in the way originally envisioned than a hack job that merely fixes problems as they arise during the build. Or hint at where the original vision may not work quite as well as desired, at least not without some changes.

Engineering software is simply a different set of tools that you mostly use to guide you through something (and perhaps document your work with after you've arrived at your solution).

Come to think of it, this isn't a bad real-world problem to use to stretch one's engineering expertise. Sometimes, there's nothing like a problem that you have a vested separate interest in to help your understanding of the engineering, and your profession (or profession-to-be) may then benefit from the hobby.

Norm
Old 01-26-2009, 03:27 PM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

"Nothing beats a well conceived plan" (unless its a bigger hammer). I agree that in a project, a goal needs be set. Plan and work to that goal and try to fore see any issues that will stand in the way. Hats off to anyone that thinks outside the envelope. The 2.3 project is a great idea and is VERY feasable, as we will see in the near future. So "spdrcer34", lets get that 2.3 pumping. It will be interesting.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:44 AM
flyingfool
3rd Gear Member

sorry if this is a repeat, but why not go with the old straight six? not so much power, simple, easier on gas ect... i think its cool that your trying somthing differnet, (and looks to be quite a bit cheaper then a lot) jus kinda curious i supose
Old 01-27-2009, 05:58 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

He wants to be different that is most of it.I seen ls1s in mustangs even a real hemi in a mustang best one a ford 302 twin turboed in a 68 camaro.Street rods do the same thing most are chevy powered with a ford 9 inch.

Quick Reply: 2.3L Turbo swap into 1967 Mustang