Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Removing an old car alarm

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2005, 10:14 PM
Chris C
2nd Gear Member

Default Removing an old car alarm

I got my 93 GT and it came with a cheap alarm in it. I lost the key chain that turns it on and off so now when I get in my car I cant start it sometimes for a few minutes until it shuts itself off. I took of the siren since I cant turn it off but i want to take the rest of the alarm out. Im mechanicaly inclined but dont know **** about electronics. What all do I need to take out and where are they located. Thanks
Old 05-08-2005, 11:25 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Removing an old car alarm

First thing you need to do is to find the control box for the alarm and try to figure out what brand/model it is.. they maybe you can find the company website & with luck get an owners manual or at least a wiring schematic. Or,, you might even be able to order a new remote so it would work again.

The control box is likely under the dash "somewhere" or possibly under the hood. You should be able to see some non-standard wires here & there, try tracing them to the source.
Old 05-08-2005, 11:44 PM
Chris C
2nd Gear Member

Cool. I will check under the dash for the control box. I dont think its under the hood since I think I would have noticed it tearing the motor up many times. Once I find it can I just remove the box or is there other components also? When the alarm is going off the parking lights flash and the passanger door locks and unlocks. The drivers door does not for some reason. About how big is the control box and what does it look like? Thanks for the help GreyStang.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:16 AM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

The control boxes aren't very big,, maybe the size of a paperback novel. Professional installers sometimes stuff the things FAR into the guts of the dash so thieves can't get to them easily. However if an amateur installed the system you'll probably find the unit no problem

After finding it I wouldn't be too quick to just yank it out, cause it sounds like they wired it into the starter/ignition circuitry and just pulling it out might make your car not start. Most control boxes have a plugin clip for it's wiring harness and if yours is like that just unclip that and try starting the car. DON'T just start cutting the wires! If the car won't start/run without the control box in place you'll have to figure out more about which wires were spliced into the alarm. Like I said, first thing to do is find the control box & read any writing on it, figure out what brand/model the alarm is.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:41 AM
Chris C
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GreyStang

After finding it I wouldn't be too quick to just yank it out, cause it sounds like they wired it into the starter/ignition circuitry and just pulling it out might make your car not start. Most control boxes have a plugin clip for it's wiring harness and if yours is like that just unclip that and try starting the car. DON'T just start cutting the wires! If the car won't start/run without the control box in place you'll have to figure out more about which wires were spliced into the alarm. Like I said, first thing to do is find the control box & read any writing on it, figure out what brand/model the alarm is.
That what I was worried about. The old keychain had the name shark on it. Im guessing thats the brand but Im not sure. I might get time to look this afternoon and see what I can figure out. Thanks again for the help GreyStang and I might have a few more questions after looking at it.