Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Raptor shift light - PMP billet mount install (w/pics)

Old 07-16-2007, 12:42 PM
TacoBill
2nd Gear Member

Default Raptor shift light - PMP billet mount install (w/pics)

I completed the installation of the Raptor Performance shift light and the PMP (Piedmont Modular Performance) custom polished billet mount within the 12V power plug in the center dash.

Both the Raptor and PMP billet mount are of excellent build quality. Adjustability and ease of installation of both of these made this install a snap. I can personally recommend these two accessories to anyone thinking of getting a shift light and who wants it mounted in a unique place. The Raptor light can be purchased directly from them or PMP, but the billet mount is only available from PMP.

About the only difficult part of the install was removing the OEM 12V receptacle from the center dash. The 2 black plastic tabs securing it in place literally had to be broken off to release the receptacle from the dash. Since I wasn’t planning on re-using it, breaking off the tabs worked for me.

My installation was a bit unique where as I was also installing an Alpine DVD head unit and the Speed of Sound switch plate. However, I will make notes on where to splice into if installing the shift light only. If you wish to wire the shift light directly to the PCM, consult Raptor's website for detailed information on plug and pin locations.

Remove the Negative battery cable.

Follow the steps in the following link to gain access to the lower center console (all the way to the A-Pillar trim removal).
Top console and center dash removal

EDIT: 03-14-08
SEE
POST 61 ON THE MGW SHIFTER INSTALL FOR SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR THOSE WITH THE AMBIENT LIGHTING OPTION.

OEM 12V receptacle

Backside of receptacle

Note: The plastic tab that had to be broken off using a flat blade screwdriver. There are 2 tabs total, one on top, and one on bottom.

The Raptor has only 3 wires; pick-up (green), positive (red) and negative (black). It comes bundled in a nice conduit and can be kept that way if you wish to run all 3 wires to the PCM. For me, I had to cut open the conduit to run the +/- wires to my switch and the pick-up wire to the coil pack. You can use a straight razor blade, but be careful not to cut into the any of the wires.
If you wish to only run the pick-up wire through the firewall, you'll need to locate a suitable switched 12V source and ground within the area of the center dash. A good source would be the large plug that plugs into the rear of the Shaker head unit. A simple wire splice or t-tap will do just fine.

Note: The power source for the 12V power plug is constant power, so it will not be a suitable source to power the light (however the ground will work fine).

Raptor being positioned into the PMP mount.

There are 2 set screws on the mount that secure the Raptor to the bezel mount and an outer ring with one set screw that secures the bezel to the dash.

If you haven't already done so, now is a good time to set what RPM you want the light to come on. There are 2 dials and a set of 3 dip switches that are accessible from the opening in the case. The outer dial (away from the dip switches) sets you RPM x1000, the center dial (closest to the dip switches) sets the RPM x100, both are clearly marked with a triangle indicator pointer with a positive click when turned.
For our Mustangs, set all 3 of the dip switches down (1 cylinder mode).

To route the green pick-up wire, free up enough length and feed it through the unused nipple part of the firewall plug located just above and out of the clutch pedal. I first penetrated the plug using a awl, then put the end of the wire across a small flat blade screwdriver and pushed it through. Don't worry about the seal being too large, it'll close up around the wire.
Now the tricky part, the exit point is behind the wheel well liner, under the master cylinder/brake booster. There's an opening in the body panel where you can access the wire. What I did was feed a good amount of wire through the firewall plug until it became visible from the body opening. With the aid of some mechanical fingers (retrieval tool), I was able to pull the wire up.

I ran some convoluted tubing over the green pick-up wire and zip tied it to the larger tubing up to the #8 cylinder coil pack (drivers side, closest to firewall).
Using a t-tap, I spliced into the WHITE W/RED STRIPE wire of the coil pack.

Back inside the car, carefully route and zip tie the pick-up wire out of the way.

If you wish to test out the shift light before buttoning up the console assembly, reconnect the Negative battery post, then set your shift light to a low RPM like 3000 (unless you feel like redlining it in the garage ), start the engine, the Raptor should go through a light test sequence, then rev up the engine to test.
If everything is fine, reset to the desired RPM and re-install all the dash and trim pieces in reverse order.

Installation complete!

Old 07-16-2007, 12:50 PM
blaven
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Raptor shift light - PMP billet mount install (w/pics)

Nooo you were supposed to put it in the air vent and use all those top secret pics i sent you!
Old 07-16-2007, 12:53 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Terrific write up, that's going to save some folk a whole bunch of time and stress

Light looks good in there I have to say.

Good work !!
Old 07-16-2007, 12:59 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Looks nice. I don't like the billet piece. Think it would look much better if it was a polished chrome or even flat black. Though it's a decent idea. Those DVD/Navigation units are really purdy lookin' though. =D Might have to get one later down the line.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:15 PM
unsocbl
3rd Gear Member

Great write up! That light looks incredibly bright!
Old 07-16-2007, 01:23 PM
LV51FER

It looks great, I'll give you that but I don't see the point of having a shift light out of your line of vision. It's no better than a tach which you don't have time to look at on the 1/4. But like I say, it looks cool.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:52 PM
blaven
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LV51FER

It looks great, I'll give you that but I don't see the point of having a shift light out of your line of vision. It's no better than a tach which you don't have time to look at on the 1/4. But like I say, it looks cool.
Actually the Raptors are very bright, and if you have good pereferial vision you won't have any trouble seeing them out of the corner of your eye. I put mine in my air vent mostly because if i don't want to see it i can flip down the vent so its barely visible but both ways work
Old 07-16-2007, 08:08 PM
hataap
3rd Gear Member

once again, very nice write up.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:33 PM
Burnsy
5th Gear Member

+1 good write up -again
Old 07-16-2007, 09:04 PM
MUSTANGEXPERT
2nd Gear Member

Verygood write up like always

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Raptor shift light - PMP billet mount install (w/pics)